- Doctoral Candidate
EEB - Haworth Hall
Faculty Mentor: John Kelly
Research Interests: Population genomics of Cryptomonas; Quantitative genetics and genomics of mimulus.
Hometown: Kampala, Uganda
B.S. in Biomedical Laboratory Technology, Makerere University
M.S. in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Makerere University
Selected Publications —
- Kenneth Mandu, Sharifu K Tusuubira, Bashir Mwambi, Fred Webbo, Christine Atuhairwe, Ivan Mugisha Taremwa. To test or not: Occurrence of sickle cell trait and assessment of awareness towards its screening among patients attending Magale Health Center IV, Manafwa district , Eastern Uganda. Journal of Blood Medicine 2018; 9: 219–225. doi: 10.2147/JBM.S177203
- Sharif K Tusuubira , Ritah Nakayinga, Bashir Mwambi, John Odda, Sylvia Kiconco and Alimah Komuhangi . Prevalence, knowledge, perception and practices towards sickle cell disease: a community survey among adults in Lubaga division, Kampala Uganda. BMC Public Health (2018) 18:561
- Sharifu Tusuubira, Hussein Oria, Simon Dembe Kasango and Stephen Lutoti . Anti-mold activity of essential oils from selected medicinal plants against Fusaria isolated from grains in areas around Lake Victoria. Journal of Poisonous and Medicinal Plants Research Vol. 4(2), pp. 020-031, 2017
Selected Presentations —
- Sharif K Tusuubira , Lessons from sickle cell awareness and advocacy in Uganda. Truman Medical Center, Kansas City MO. Sickle Cell Comprehensive Center, October 2018; invited oral presentation.
- Sharif K Tusuubira, Mandela Washington Fellowship Most significant impact story -Civic Leadership track. Africa Continental conference for Young African leaders in Johannesburg, South Africa. June 2018; invited oral presentation.
- Sharifu K Tusuubira, Claire Mugasa, Slyver Ochwo, Jesca Nakavuma; Assaying for thermostable DNA polymerase activity in putative thermophilic bacteria isolates from select garbage dumping sites and host springs in Uganda. Abuja International Conference on Science and Technology, October 2017; invited oral presentation.
- Sharifu K Tusuubira , “My Story- Sickle Cell Awareness and Advocacy with Uganda Sickle Cell Rescue Foundation”. 2017 Mandela Washington Fellows Summit at the Marriott Marquis in Washington DC, USA. August 2017; invited oral presentation.
- Sharifu K Tusuubira, Lukiah Mulumba, Ssendiwala Samuel, Asio Bernadette, Tracy Nagawa, "The role of civil society in sickle cell disease management; a case study of the Uganda Sickle Cell Rescue Foundation" at the 6th International Conference on Sickle Cell Disease in Central Africa. 2016 June; poster presentation.
- Sharifu K Tusuubira, "Addressing Sickle Cell Stigma in Uganda" 3rd Annual Sickle Cell Conference.Uganda Sickle Cell Rescue Foundation ,Kampala. June 2015; invited oral presentation.
- Sharifu K Tusuubira , "I am you, Why stigmatize" 2nd Annual Sickle Cell Conference. Uganda Sickle Cell Rescue Foundation, Kampala. June 2014; invited oral presentation.
Awards & Honors —
- University Graduate Fellowship. The University of Kansas.
- Outstanding Community Outreach Award. Clarke International University. April 2018.
- Telemachus Fellow (2018) - Global Thinkers Forum (UK).
- Mandela Washington Fellow (2017) - Young African Leaders Initiative (US Department of State)
- Graduate Studentship Award - 2011 (Makerere University, VICRES Antimould project)