Dr. Norman A. Slade
- Professor Emeritus
Ph.D., Utah State University, 1972
- Conducting research on:
- the impact of environmental stochasticity on population growth and projection matrices, and on
- applications of capture-recapture techniques to nontraditional types of data
- Teaching statistics and population ecology
Selected Publications —
- Wang, G., N. T. Hobbs, N. A. Slade, J. F. Merritt, L. L. Getz, M. Hunter, Jr., S. H. Vessey, J. Witham, and A. Guillaumet. 2013. Comparative population dynamics of large and small mammals in the Northern Hemisphere: deterministic and stochastic forces. Ecography 36:439-446. Published on line 21 Nov 2011 doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0587.2011.07156.x
- Alexander, H. M., A. W. Reed, W. D. Kettle, N. A. Slade, S. A. Bodbyl Roels, C. D. Collins, and V. Salisbury. 2012. Detection and plant monitoring
- programs: lessons from an intensive survey of Asclepias meadii with five observers. PLOS ONE.
- Reed, A. W. and N. A. Slade. 2012. Buffering and plasticity in vital rates of oldfield rodents. Journal of Animal Ecology 81:953-959.
- Linzey, A. V., A. W. Reed, N. A. Slade, and M. H. Kesner. 2012. Effects of habitat disturbance on a Peromyscus leucopus (Rodentia:Cricetidae) population in western Pennsylvania. Journal of Mammalogy 93:211-219.
- Wang, G., L. L. Getz, A. V. Linzey, N. A. Slade, and M. H. Kesner. 2012. Fast and slow dynamics of northern small mammal populations. Ecological Modelling 225:95-102.
- Reed, A. W. and N. A. Slade. 2009. Environmental correlates to survival and reproduction in old-field rodents. Journal of Mammalogy 90:680–685.
- Alexander, H. M., N. A. Slade, W. D. Kettle, G. A. Pittman, and A. W. Reed. 2009. Detection, survival rates, and dynamics of a cryptic plant, Asclepias meadii: applications of mark-recapture models to long-term monitoring studies. Journal of Ecology 97:267–276.
- Wang, G., J. O. Wolff, S. H. Vessey, N. A. Slade, J. W. Witham, J. F. Merritt, M. L. Hunter, Jr, and S. P. Ellis. 2009. Comparative population dynamics of Peromyscus leucopus in North America: influences of climate, food, and density dependence. Population Ecology 51:133–144.
- Reed, A. W. and N. A. Slade. 2008. Density-dependent recruitment in grassland small mammals. Journal of Animal Ecology 77:57-65.Reed, A. W. and N. A. Slade. 2007. Demography and environmental stochasticity: Empirical estimates of survival in three grassland rodents. Journal of Zoology 272:110–115.
- Reed, A. W., and N. A. Slade. 2006. Environmental stochasticity: Empirical estimates of survival of prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster). Canadian Journal of Zoology 84:635–642.
- Reed, A. W., and N. A. Slade. 2006. Demography and environmental stochasticity: Empirical estimates of cotton rat survival. Journal of Mammalogy 87:433–439.
- Brady, M. J., and N. A. Slade. 2004. Long-term dynamics of a grassland rodent community. Journal of Mammalogy 83:552–561.
- Eifler, M. A., N. A. Slade, and T. J. Doonan. 2003. The effect of supplemental food on the growth rates of neonatal, young, and adult cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) in northeastern Kansas, USA. Acta Oecologica 24:187–193.
- Slade, N. A., H. M. Alexander, and D. Kettle. 2003. Estimation of population size and probabilities of survival and detection in Mead's milkweed. Ecology 84:791–797.
- Swihart, R. K., J. Feng, N. A. Slade, D. Mason, and T. M. Gehring. 2001. Effects of habitat destruction and resource supplementation in a predator-prey metapopulation model. Journal of Theoretical Biology 210:287–303.
- Brady, M. J., and N. A. Slade. 2001. Diversity of a grassland rodent community at varying temporal scales: the role of ecologically dominant species. Journal of Mammalogy 82:974–983.
- Oli, M. K., N. A. Slade and F. S. Dobson. 2001. Effect of density reduction on Uinta ground squirrels: Analysis of life table response experiments. Ecology 82:1921–1929.
- Stokes, M. K., N. A. Slade, and S. M. Blair. 2001. Influences of weather and moonlight on activity patterns of small mammals: a biogeographic perspective. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79:966–972.
- Slade, N. A., and S. M. Blair. 2000. An empirical test of counts of individuals captured as indices of population size. Journal of Mammalogy 81:1035–1045.
- Eifler, M. A., and N. A. Slade. 1999. Effect of weather on individual growth rates in cotton rats, Sigmodon hispidus. Journal of Mammalogy 80:1277–1287.
- Slade, N. A. 1999. Randomization tests using standard statistical software. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 80:179–180.
- Peterson, A. T. and N. A. Slade. 1998. Extrapolating inventory results into biodiversity estimates and the importance of stopping rules. Diversity and Distributions 4:95–105.
- Eifler, M. A. and N. A. Slade. 1998. Activity patterns in relation to body mass and ambient temperature among overwintering cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 75:668–672.
- Slade, N. A. and L. A. Russell. 1998. Distances as indices to movements and home-range size from trapping records of small mammals. Journal of Mammalogy 79:346–353.
- Slade, N. A., R. Gomulkiewicz, and H. M. Alexander. 1998. Alternatives to Robinson and Redford's method of assessing overharvest from incomplete demographic data. Conservation Biology 12:148–155.
- Slade, N.A., L.A. Russell and T.J. Doonan, 1997. The impact of supplemental food on movements of prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster). Journal of Mammalogy 78: 1149–1155.
- Gomulkiewicz, R. and N.A. Slade, 1997. Legal standards and the significance of DNA evidence. Human Biology 69: 675–688.
- Alexander, H.M., N.A. Slade and D. Kettle, 1997. Application of mark-recapture models to estimation of the population size of plants. Ecology 78: 1230–1237.
- Swihart, R.K. and N.A. Slade, 1997. On testing for independence of animal movements. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics 2:48–63.