Dr. Pierotti's research investigates the evolutionary biology of vertebrates with male parental care and socially monogamous breeding systems.
I collect data on individual variation in behavioral and ecological aspects of parental care. My primary question is how an individual organism becomes successful at reproduction and contributes to future generations. My research focuses on two genera of monogamous vertebrates: the avian genus Larus (gulls), and the mammalian genus Canis (wolves, coyotes, dogs).
- Pierotti, R. and B. Fogg. 2019. The First Domestication: How Wolves and Humans Co-evolved. (Korean Translation). Seoul, South Korea.
- Pierotti, R. 2018. World views and the Concept of Traditional. Ethnobiology Letters 9(2): 299-304. doi: 10.14237/ebl.9.2.2018.1394
- Pierotti, R. and B. Fogg. 2017 The First Domestication: How Wolves and Humans Co-evolved. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT.
- Pierotti, R. 2016. The role of myth in understanding nature. Ethnobiology Letters 7(2): 6-13.
- Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 2015. Indigenous concepts of ‘living systems’: Aristotelian ‘soul’ meets constructal theory. Ethnobiology Letters 6: 80-88.
- Fogg, B. R., N. Hernandez-Howe, and R. Pierotti. 2015. Relationships between Indigenous American peoples and wolves 1: Wolves as Teachers and Guides. Journal of Ethnobiology 35: 262-285.
- Benedit, M. K. Kindscher, and R. Pierotti. 2014. Learning from the land: Incorporating Indigenous perspectives into the plant sciences. pp. 135-154. In: Quave, C. L. (ed.). Innovative Strategies for Teaching in the Plant Sciences. Springer Publications, N.Y.
- Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 2013. We probably thought that would be true: Perceiving complex emotional states in nonhumans. Ethnobiology Letters 5: 15-21.
- 2012. "The Process of Domestication; Why Domestic Forms are not Species" Wolfdog. 2. 22-27. .
- 2012. "Human Impacts on Seals, Sea Lions, and Sea Otters: Integrating Archaeology and Ecology of the Northeast Pacific" Ethnobiology Letters. 4. 32-36. .
- 2012. "Forms of Becoming: Evo-Devo for Ethnobiologists" Ethnobiology Letters. 3. 35-38. .
- 2012. "All dogs are wolves" Wolfdog. 2. 8-11. .
- 2011. "The World According to Is'a: Combining Empiricism and Spiritual Understanding in Indigenous Ways of Knowing" Ethnobiology. edited by . , , , and 399p.. .
- 2011. "Paradise Found: Nature in America at the Time of Discovery" Ethnobiology Letters. .
- 2011. "Indigenous Knowledge, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology" 264. .
- 2010. "Sustainability of natural populations: Lessons from Indigenous Knowledge" Human Dimensions of Wildlife. 15. 274-287. .
- 2005. "Communities as social and ecological entities" Being Native: Native Being. .
- 2003. "Creating meaningful study abroad programs for American Indian postsecondary students" Journal of American Indian Education. 42. 46-57. .
- 2002. "Connected to the Land: Nature and Spirit in the Novels of Louis Owens" Indigenous Nations Studies Journal. 3. 77-94. .
- 2002. "Campus Morale Under Corporate Models: the University of Kansas" Workplace: A Journal for Academic Labor. 4. .
- 2001. "The ecology of Western Gulls in habitats varying in degree of urban influence" Avian ecology and conservation in an urbanizing world. edited by . and 307-329. .
- 2001. "Being native to this place" American Indians in History. edited by . 1870-2000. .