Area of Interest and Research
- Theoretical population genetics
- Life history evolution
- Relationship of population structure and life-history attributes to gene flow
- Hybridization and genetic diversity
- Within-host viral population dynamics
My research area is theoretical population genetics; I use mathematical models to investigate the roles that such complexities as clonal and asexual reproduction, non-random mating, and different patterns and types of dispersal play in determining genetic structure; I also apply evolutionary theory to questions of how these different life histories evolved. Specific areas of present and future research include models investigating the role that life history plays in determining effective population size and levels of local differentiation, the use of multi-locus genotype information in analyzing hybrid zones, tradeoffs between clonal and sexual life phases, the evolution of senescence, and the dynamics of viral populations within their hosts.
- 2012. "Mutation-selection balance and mixed mating with asexual reproduction" Journal of Theoretical Biology. 308. 25-35. .
- 2009. "Direct estimation of the mutation rate at dinucleotide microsatellite loci in Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae)" Heredity. 103. 310-317. .
- 2005. "Viral infection in internally structured hosts. I. Conditions for persistent infection" Journal of Theoretical Biology. 232(4). 453-466. .
- 2005. "A statistical characterization of consistent patterns of human immunodeficiency virus evolution within infected patients" Molecular Biology and Evolution. 22(3). 456-468. .
- 2003. "Linking dynamical and population genetic models of persistent viral infection" American Naturalist. 162. 14-28. .
- 2002. "The genealogy of a sequence subject to purifying selection at multiple sites" Molecular Biology and Evolution. 19. 1376-1384. .
- 2002. "Associations between cytoplasmic and nuclear loci in hybridizing populations" Genetics. 162. 1469-1485. .
- 2001. "Somatic mutations in organisms with complex life histories" Theoretical Population Biology. 59. 235-249. .
- 2000. "The effects of pollen and seed migration on nuclear-dictyoplasmic systems. II. A new method for estimating plant gene flow from joint nuclear-cytoplasmic data" Genetics. 155. 833-854. .
- 2000. "The effects of pollen and seed migration on nuclear-dictyoplasmic systems. I. Nonrandom associations and equilibrium structure with both maternal and paternal cytoplasmic inheritance" Genetics. 155. 813-831. .
- 1995. "Senescence in organisms with clonal reproduction and complex life histories" American Naturalist. 145. 90 - 108. .
- 1995. "Evolutionary consequences of mutation and selection within an individual" Genetics. 141. 1173 - 1187. .
- 1994. "Evolutionary genetic models of organisms with complex life histories" .
- 1993. "Effective population size in organisms with complex life histories" Theoretical Population Biology. 44. 316 - 340. .
- 1989. "Effects of handling on Euphydryas editha" Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society. 43(3). 244 - 247. .