Meiosis and sexual reproduction are prevalent across the tree of life, but they can be exploited by genetic parasites in ways that harm the host. I am particularly interested in understanding how this genetic conflict shapes the evolution of these systems. Some of the questions I am looking to answer: How and why do males and females differ in their efforts to ameliorate genetic conflict? What are the mechanisms underlying changes in the rate of recombination? Are these changes driven by natural selection or drift? How has conflict shaped the machinery of meiosis? To answer these questions, I work with different species within the Drosophila genus, including Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila virilis. The lab uses a wide variety of approaches including cytogenetics, bioinformatics, molecular genetics and population genetics. Overall, I hope to integrate the experimental approach within a broader theoretical framework.
- Collins, K.A., Unruh, J.R., Slaughter, B.D., Yu, Z., Lake, C.M., Nielsen, R.J., Box, K.S., Miller, D.E., Blumenstiel, J.P., Perera, A.G., Malanowski, K.E. and Hawley, R.S. 2014. Corolla is a novel protein that contributes to the architecture of the synaptonemal complex of Drosophila. Genetics.
- Blumenstiel, J.P. 2014. Whole genome sequencing in Drosophila virilis identifies Polyphemus, a recently activated Tc-1 like transposon with a possible role in hybrid dysgenesis. Mobile DNA. 5(1):6.
- Blumenstiel, J.P, Chen, X.*, He, M., and Bergman, C.M. 2014. An age-of-allele test of neutrality for transposable element insertions. Genetics. 196(2):523–38.
- Wickersheim, M. and Blumenstiel, J.P. 2013. Terminator oligo blocking efficiently eliminates ribosomal RNA from small RNA sequencing reactions in Drosophila. BioTechniques. 55(5):269–72.
- 2012. "A whole chromosome analysis of recombination and gene conversion in Drosophila melanogaster" G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics. 2(2). 249-260. .
- 2011. "Telomeres: A new means to an end" Current Biology. 21(1). R32-R33. .
- 2011. "Molecular evolution under increasing transposable element burden in Drosophila: A speed limit on the evolutionary arms race" BMC Evolutionary Biology. 11(258). 1-16. .
- 2011. "Evolutionary dynamics of transposable elements in a small RNA world" Trends in Genetics. 27(1). 23-31. .
- 2009. "Identification of EMS-induced mutation in Drosophila melanogaster by whole genome sequencing" Genetics. 182(1). 25-32. .
- 2008. "Components of the RNAi machinery that mediate long-distance chromosomal associations are dispensable for meiotic and early somatic homolog pairing in Drosophila melanogaster" Genetics. 180(3). 1355-65. .
- 2007. "The formation of the central element of the synaptonemal complex may occur by multiple mechanisms: The roles of N- and C- terminal domains of the Drosophila C(3)G protein in mediating synapsis and recombination" Genetics. 177(4). 2445-56. .
- 2007. "Sperm competition can drive a male-biased mutation rate" The Journal of Theoretical Biology. 249(3). 624-32. .
- 2005. "Evidence for maternally transmitted siRNA in the repression of transposition in Drosophila virilis" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.. 102. 15965 - 13283. .
- 2004. "Different regulatory mechanisms underlie similar transposable element profiles in pufferfish and fruitflies" Mol. Biol. Evol.. 21(12). 2310 - 2318. .
- 2002. "Patterns of insertion and deletion in contrasting chromatin domains" Mol. Biol. Evol.. 19(12). 2211 - 2225. .
- 2001. "Complexity reduction for genome-wide SNP analysis" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.. 99. 2942 - 2947. .
- 1998. "A rap guanine nucleotide exchange factor enriched highly in the basal ganglia" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.. 95. 13278 - 13283. .