- M.A. in ecology and evolutionary biology from the University of Kansas
- B.S. in aquatic biology from Bemidji State University
- Romero A., B.J. O’Neill, R.M. Timm, K.G. Gerow, D. McClearn. 2013. Group dynamics, behavior, and current and historical abundance of peccaries in Costa Rica’s Caribbean lowlands. Journal of Mammalogy 94(4): 771–791.
- O’Neill, B.J. and J.H. Thorp. 2011. A simple channel complexity metric for analyzing river ecosystem responses. River Systems. 19(4): 327-335.
- O’Neill, B.J. and J.H. Thorp. Submitted June, 2011. Flow refugia for the zoobenthos of a sand bed river: the role of physical habitat complexity. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 30(2): 546-558.
- Thorp, J.H., J.E. Flotemersch, M.D. Delong, A.F. Casper, M.C. Thoms, F. Ballantyne, B.S. Williams, B.J. O’Neill, and C.S. Haase. 2010. Linking ecosystem services, rehabilitation, and river hydrogeomorphology. BioScience 60(1):67-74.
- Governor’s Conference on the Future of Water in Kansas - O’Neill, BJ, JH Thorp. 2013. Untangling the threads of playa food webs. October 25, 2013. Manhattan, KS. Poster presentation.
- Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America - O’Neill, BJ, JH Thorp. 2013. Food web complexity in playa wetlands of the high plains: biodiversity and community dynamics. August 4–9, 2013. Minneapolis, MN. Oral presentation.
- EEB GSO Retreat - Bowes, R, BJ O’Neill. 2012. Rectification of stable isotopes in an ecological context: synthesizing various approaches to problems when using different tissues and life stages. November 3, 2012. Oral Presentation– 3rd place in competition.
- Governor’s Conference on the Future of Water in Kansas - O’Neill, BJ, J Steffen, M Jakubauskas. 2012. Effects of sedimentation on the benthic ecology of Perry Lake. , October 31, 2012. Manhattan, KS. Poster presentation. – Won Governor’s award for undergraduate poster competition
- Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America - O’Neill, BJ, JH Thorp, DC Rogers. 2012. Community structure and food web dynamics in endangered, ephemeral wetlands of the high plains. August 5-10, 2012. Portland, OR. Poster presentation.
- American Society of Mammologists - Romero, A, BJ O’Neill, RM Timm, KG Gerow, and DK McClearn. 2012. Group dynamics and behavior of collared peccaries (Pecari tajacu) in Costa Rica’s Caribbean Lowlands. June 22–26, 2012, Reno, NV. Oral Presentation
- Water and the Future of Kansas Conference - O’Neill, BJ, and JH Thorp. 2011. Ecological Responses to Hydrogeomorphic Fluctuations in the Kansas River: Consequences of River Alteration. Oral Presentation. Topeka, KS, September 30, 2011.
- Kansas EPSCoR Statewide Conference – O’Neill, BJ, and JH Thorp. 2009. Ecological responses to hydrogeomorphic fluctuations in a sand bed prairie river: river complexity, habitat availability, and benthic invertebrates. Poster Presentation. Manhattan, KS, October 6, 2009.
- First Biennial Symposium of the International Society for River Science – O’Neill, BJ, and JH Thorp. 2009. Hydrogeomorphic fluctuations in a sand bed prairie river: benthic invertebrates, river complexity, and habitat use. Oral Presentation. St. Pete Beach, Fl, July 12-17, 2009.
- 57th Annual Meeting of the North American Benthological Society – O’Neill, BJ, and JH Thorp. 2009. Benthic macroinvertebrate response to hydrogeomorphic fluctuations in a sand bed, prairie river. Oral Presentation. Grand Rapids, MI, May 16-21, 2009.
- 56th Annual Meeting of the North American Benthological Society – O’Neill, BJ, and JH Thorp. 2009. Benthic macroinvertebrate response to hydrogeomorphic fluctuations in a sand bed, prairie river. Poster Presentation. Salt Lake City, UT, May 25-28, 2008.
- Kansas EPSCoR Symposium – O’Neill, BJ, and JH Thorp. 2008. River channel complexity: climate change, hydrogeomorphology, and the benthic community. Poster Presentation. Lawrence, KS, April 19, 2008.
- KU Doctoral Student Research Fund: $1500 grant that supported stable isotope samples for PhD project. (March 2012)
- Mensa Education & Research Foundation Scholarship Program: $200 grant that supported development of PhD research project. (December 2010)
- EEB Summer Research Funding: $1000
- Kansas Academy of Science Student Research Grant : $1000 grant that paid for the bulk of my master’s research expenses. (June 2007)