- B.S., with Honors and Distinction in Microbiology, Summa cum laude, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
Publications (Peer Reviewed)
- Blumenstiel, J.P., Erwin, A.A., and Hemmer, L.W. 2016. What drives positive selection in the piRNA machinery? A genomic autoimmunity hypothesis. Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. 89(4): 499–512.
- Erwin, A.A.*, Galdos, M.A.*, Wickersheim, M.L., Harrison, C.C., Marr, K.D., Colicchio, J.M., and Blumenstiel, J.P. 2015. piRNAs are associated with diverse transgenerational effects on gene and transposon expression in a hybrid dysgenic syndrome of D. virilis. PLoS Genetics. 11(8):e1005332.
- Li, C.,* Erwin A.A,* Pap, D., Coleman, C., Higgins, A., Kiss, E., Kozma, P., Hoffmann, S. Ramming, D., and Kovacs, L. 2013. Selection for Run1-Ren1 Dihybrid Grapevines using Microsatellite Markers. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture. (64):152-155.
*authors contributed equally
Grants, Scholarships, and Awards
- 2017 STEMMy Student Achiever Award, Central Exchange
- 2017 Inclusive Environments and Metrics in Environment Biology Education Research (iEMBER) Supportive Preliminary Award for Research Collaboration (SPARC), (collaborative grant) $1,500.
- 2017 Kathleen McCluskey-Fawcett Woman Mentoring Women Award, $500.
- 2016 American Association for University Women Campus Action Grant (collaborative), lead author. $4,800.
- 2016 Genetics Society of America Travel Award for The Allied Genetics Conference, $600
- 2016 Graduate Student Distinguished Service Award, $500
- 2016 Genetics Society of America Trainee-Organized Symposium (collaborative), lead author. $2,000
- 2014-present Graduate Research Predoctoral Fellowship. NSF. $126,000.
- 2014 Research in the Biology of Aging Scholarship. American Federation for Aging Research. $5,000.
- 2012-2013 First Year Fellowship. The University of Kansas. $18,000.
- 2012-2013 Graduate Research Fellowship. The University of Kansas. $5,000.
- 2012 Outstanding Graduating Senior. Missouri State University. $500.
- 2011-2012 Biology Alumni Scholarship. Missouri State University. $500.
- 2010 Summer Research Scholarship. Missouri State University. $2,000.
- 2008-2012 Bright Flight. $20,000.
- 2008-2012 Board of Governor’s Scholarship. Full tuition coverage.
- 2017 Co-chair of the Early Career Scientists Steering Committee at the Genetics Society of America (GSA); oversee, guide, and directions of four subcommittees (policy, professional development, communication and outreach, diversity and inclusion)
- 2016-2017 Lead organizer of a collaborative semester-long program to minimize the gender leadership gap in STEM fields (jbb.ku.edu)
- 2016 Chair of the Scientists Exploring non-Academic CaReer CHoices (SEARCH) http://searchsymposium.ku.edu organizing Committee
- 2016 Genetics Society of America trainee organizing committee member for The Allied Genetics Conference; organized and facilitated two professional development events
- 2016 Kansas DNA Day Module Creator and Coordinator; developed Model Organisms Module (http://www.ksdnaday.org/modules.html)
- 2015 Invasive Mosquito Citizen Science project with students at Wyandotte High School
- 2014-2015 Participated in GSO pollinator garden project and teaching at Wyandotte High School (semester-long project)
- 2014-2015 Initiated and ran a workshop on beginning computer programming for EEB and MB REU students for summer 2014 and summer 2015
- 2014-present Created an activity for elementary age students about Drosophila genetics and life cycle to advocate for model organism research; continual participation with science nights at local schools
- 2011 Assisted in organizing interdisciplinary (science/history/art) exhibit at Discovery Center, Springfield, MO focusing on Missouri grape breeder, Hermann Jaeger
Departmental and University Service
- 2016 Graduate student representative in the following groups: Graduate Student Advisory Board, Student Senate, Student Senate Executive Committee, University Senate, University Senate Executive Committee, University Graduate Student Health Insurance Work Group
- 2012-present Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Graduate Student Organization: Co-president (2016-2017), vice President (2015-2016), chair of Awards Committee (2014), student representative on the EEB Department Executive Committee and Graduate Program Committee (2016-2017, 2015-2016)
- Erwin, A., and J. Blumenstiel. The developmental effects of germline ablation contribute more strongly to somatic gene expression than the maternal effects of piRNA. Kansas City, KS. September 2016. Greenwald Symposium. Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A., and J. Blumenstiel. The genome strikes back: The DNA battle raging within us all. Kansas City, KS. August 2016. MidAmeriConII, 76th Annual World Science Fiction Convention. Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A., and J. Blumenstiel. The developmental effects of germline ablation contribute more strongly to somatic gene expression than the maternal effects of piRNA. Orlando, FL. July 2016. The Allied Genetics Conference. Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A., and J. Blumenstiel. Altered expression of mitochondria and heterochromatic genes in egg and follicle cells of aged Drosophila females. Santa Fe, NM. May, 2016. Keystone Symposia: Epigenetic and Metabolic Regulation of Aging and Aging-Related Diseases. Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A., Mauricio Galdos, Michelle Wickersheim, and Justin Blumenstiel. Understanding the tension between genome defense and genomic autoimmunity by piRNAs. Kansas City, KS. October 2015. Missouri Iowa Nebraska Kansas Women in Computing Conference. Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A., M. Wickersheim, J. Blumenstiel. New roles for TE silencing mechanisms in gene regulation. University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS. February 2015. BIO3 Seminar Series. Oral Presentation.
- Erwin, A., M. Galdos, J. Blumenstiel. Caught in the crossfire: genes tangled up in host-mediated transposable element defense. Evolution, Raleigh, N.C. June 2014. Oral Presentation.
- Galdos, M., A. Erwin. C. Harrison, and J. Blumenstiel. Dynamics of transposable element derepression in a hybrid dysgenic cross of Drosophila virilis. San Diego, CA. March 2014. National Drosophila Genetics Research Conference. Poster Presentation.
- Erwin, A. M. Wickersheim, J. Blumenstiel. Global TE destabilization influences genic piRNA production for endogenous genes in Drosophila virilis. Washington, DC. April 2013. National Drosophila Genetics Research Conference. Poster presentation.
- Galdos, M., A. Erwin, M. Wickersheim, C. Harris, and J. Fang. Genetics and Epigenetics of Hybrid Dysgenesis of Drosophila virilis. University of Illinois, Monticello, IL. November 2012. Midwest Drosophila Conference, Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A., K. Pilinksy, and L. Kovacs. Investigating the role of sirtuins in plants. Mt. Grove, MO. July 2011. Missouri Grape Research Consortium. Oral presentation.
- Erwin, A. H. Syed, K. Pilinsky, and L. Kovacs. An investigation of the role of sirtuins in plants. Missouri State University, Springfield, MO. March 2011. CNAS Undergraduate Research Day, Poster presentation.
- Erwin, A. J. Glasson, A. Higgins, C. Coleman, and L. Kovacs. Using molecular markers to breed disease-resistant grapevines for sustainable viticulture. Missouri State University, Springfield, MO. March 2010. CNAS Undergraduate Research Day, Missouri State University. Poster presentation.